True story: I used to hate blueberries.
No idea why, just could not eat them. Give me any other type of berry and I would eat it right up, but something about the blueberry was just not very appetizing. I had really weird food preferences as a kid. I used to walk around eating slices of cheese, bologna, glasses of milk 24/7, Doritos… you name it, if it contained cheese, I would eat it. I also absolutely hated peanut butter and guacamole. Clearly I’m a new person now.
Good news though is that I now LOVE blueberries and could easily snack on an entire pint in one afternoon. Put a blueberry in a pancake and I’m sold. Put a blueberry in a bar-shaped pancake form that I can pack to bring to work and eat all day long and I’m IN LOVE.
Not only are these super easy to make since they use a boxed pancake mix, but they’re also the perfect mixture of breakfast and dessert. So when you get done with a long run and need fuel and want both breakfast and dessert at the same time, I gotcha covered.
- 1½c pancake mix (I used Bisquick)
- ⅔c cooked quinoa
- 2 mashed bananas
- ¼c maple syrup
- 1t vanilla
- ½c blueberries
- ¼c blueberries
- 1T maple syrup
- 2T chia seeds
- ⅓c granola
- 2T maple syrup
- Add pancake mix, cooked quinoa, mashed bananas, maple syrup, vanilla, and blueberries to a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, make jam topping. Heat blueberries in the microwave until soft and mash with a fork.
- Add maple syrup and chia seeds.
- Stir and allow to sit for ~10 minutes.
- For streusel topping, mix your favorite granola (or oats) with maple syrup in a separate bowl.
- Grease a medium-sized baking pan and pour bar mixture from large bowl into the pan.
- Pour jam topping over the bars.
- Add streusel on top.
- Bake at 350F for 12 minutes.