Savory breakfasts are seriously my jaaaaaaam.
Breakfast is so easily my favorite meal of the day. I have absolutely no idea how some people roll out of bed and head into school/work/exercising without some kind of breakfast beforehand. The second I wake up, my stomach is almost always growling for food. I can’t function without it.
During the school year I have almost zero time to make a good savory breakfast, but now that it’s summer and I only work evenings, I’m taking full advantage of making breakfast everyday. The bigger and more savory, the better.
These Mexican Breakfast Tacos combine all of my fav foods – turmeric-y tofu, black beans, cheese, taco meat, tomatoes, potatoes, and cilantro. Super savory and super easy and super delish.
- 1 package firm tofu, diced
- 1c black beans
- ¾c veggie crumbles or ground beef
- 2 potatoes, diced
- Turmeric, enough to completely coat tofu
- Nutritional yeast
- Ground black pepper
- Chili powder
- Mozzarella cheese
- Soft tortillas
- Canola oil
- Start by dicing potatoes into ~1in pieces. Place in extra large skillet with cooking oil over medium heat.
- Add ground beef or veggie crumbles to the skillet and season with pepper, chili powder, and cumin.
- Dice firm tofu into small chunks and place in a separate skillet over medium-high heat. Season with enough turmeric and nutritional yeast to completely cover.
- Once potatoes and veggie crumbles are nearly fully cooked, add in black beans. Season entire skillet with more cumin to taste.
- Once the tofu has fully cooked, drain the excess liquid and add tofu to the larger skillet with the beans, meat, and potatoes.
- Add in about 1 handful of cheese, diced tomatoes, and chopped cilantro to the skillet. Stir until the cheese has fully melted.
- Place about 1-2 spoonfuls into a soft tortilla and serve!